2023/24 Bursary Applications
16-19 Student Bursary Fund
We want all of our students to be as successful as possible and to help them overcome any barriers that they may face, including financial. The bursary available to each student is dependent on the funds available to the Academy, which are allocated each year by the DfE, and the individual personal circumstances of the eligible students. The 16 to 19 bursary is a separate payment to any free school meals funding for which the student may be eligible, this is applied for directly through the relevant Local Authority.
There are two types of 16 to 19 bursaries:
- Bursaries for defined vulnerable groups
- Discretionary Bursaries – set by the Trust in line with the funding provided by the DfE
Vulnerable Bursary Grant of up to £1,200 per academic year
For students who are in care; a care leaver; or receiving Universal Credit because they are supporting themselves, supporting themselves and someone who is dependent on them and living with them such as a child or partner or in their own right.
In order to be awarded the vulnerable groups bursary fund the Trust must submit a funding claim to the Student Bursary Support Service online portal, once eligibility and financial need have been assessed and confirmed.
Discretionary Bursary Award
An award may be available to students facing financial barriers to participation. This may form a contribution to the cost of travel, purchasing essential books, equipment or specialist clothing to enable participation.
This award is not intended to provide learning support, or to support extra-curricular activities where these are not essential to the study programme.
The Trust invites applications from all students who feel this applies, however students with a total household income below £25,000 will be prioritised.
The Trust will assess the needs of each individual student following application and confirm the award available to that student.
Use of the Bursary
The Bursary may be used to provide financial support for:
- Transport costs
- Purchasing equipment or resources for individual learners
- Assistance with educational trips for the study programme, i.e. field trips
- One off payments of additional costs that would otherwise prevent participation.
How to apply
- Check that the criteria set within the policy applies (copy on website)
- Complete the 16 to 19 bursary application (copy on website)
- Ensure all supporting information and documentation is included
- Submit the application to the Head of Sixth form no later than 30th September 2023