The Duke of Edinburgh’s (DofE) Award Scheme has been offered at Arnold Hill Spencer Academy for many years. The scheme is an important part of the high quality enrichment programme at Arnold Hill, and provides a great opportunity for students to broaden their horizons, discover new interests and talents, have fun with friends, develop essential skills for their future and achieve an internationally renowned award.
The DofE is non-competitive and open to all young people – it’s about setting personal challenges and pushing personal boundaries. There are three levels of DofE programme which, when successfully completed, lead to a Bronze, Silver or Gold Award. Students from Years 9 to 13 volunteer to take on the challenges posed by the different aspects of the Award.
Throughout their DofE experience, students will make friends and memories and build traits like confidence, resilience and self-esteem, which can all benefit mental health. They will gain skills and attributes for work and life such as problem-solving, team-working and self-motivation, and they will achieve an Award that is recognised by top employers and can help them stand out when applying for further education or jobs.
There are four sections to complete at Bronze and Silver level, and five at Gold:
- Volunteering: undertaking service to individuals or the community.
- Physical: improving in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities.
- Skills: developing practical and social skills and personal interests.
- Expedition: planning, training for and completion of an adventurous journey in the UK or abroad.
- Residential (Gold only): which involves working and staying away from home doing a shared activity.
For more information about the DofE Award Scheme please visit www.dofe.org or send an email to us at:
- Bronze Award – AHABronzeDofE@arnoldhillspencer.com
- Silver Award – AHASilverDofE@arnoldhillspencer.com
- Gold Award – AHAGoldDofE@arnoldhillspencer.com
DofE Bronze Expedition Dates
A qualifying expedition will take place on Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th September 2021. Further information about the expedition can be found here.